Friday, February 26, 2010

Kindle Me, Kindle You!

So my magnificent husband bought me an early birthday gift. A Kindle! Click on the link if you don't know what it is. Go on...I'll wait. *taps foot*
.
.
.
Welcome back!

So I think this is going to be a review of it because I've actually finished a book on it. I had started reading the book in print and I wanted to read it on the Kindle. So I searched the Kindle store, found the book I was currently reading and downloaded it. All of that took less than a minute. I was more than impressed. The books are on average 2 to 3 dollars cheaper than print for soft covers and moreso for hardcovers.

I then had to find my place in the book where I had left off. They have a handy dandy search function for the book and I just input the first part of the sentence where I wanted to start reading and it found it quickly so I was able to pick up where I left off.

My biggest worry was that I would miss having a book with tangible pages to read. Well that worry went out of the window when I started reading. If it's possible for me to be even more engaged, I was! I even found myself forgetting that I was on an e-reader and tried to turn the page a time or two. I found myself reading faster than before as well. The screen has the coloring of the pages of a book and the screen is really anti-glare.

The Kindle has a built in dictionary so you can just highlight a word while you are reading and instantly get the meaning. L-O-V-E this feature! I finished my first book quickly and immediately downloaded another. This thing is just calling for a place in my entertainment budget. Once you are done with the book, delete it from the device and it's moved to your archived section where you can download it again at anytime.

The Kindle also has magazine and newspapers that you can subscribe to at a modest price. You can also subscribe to blogs and go on the internet as well. And the battery life is amazing! And I love that it's small enough to fit in my purse.

There are slight downsides to the Kindle that I really can't call downsides considering all the great things about it.

There seems to be slight wasted space on the Kindle. They probably could have either made the screen a little bigger or made the device a little smaller and kept the screen the same size.

There is no backlight but many companies sell light accessories.

So all in all, I love the Kindle and I look forward to spending many curled up moments with it. Thanks J!

PBS

No comments:

Post a Comment